Monday, June 16, 2008

Army Wives

I really enjoy watching this show on Lifetime. Yes, I said Lifetime. Ok, you can stop laughing now. Anyway, if you haven't checked it out, I recommend you do. You definitely need to check out the first season though. The first season was really good, while the second season is leaning toward the ridiculously melodramatic side. I still enjoy watching it though. I can't help but relate to the issues that the women are going through. Although I was not an army wife, I was a military wife, and I know exactly how the characters are feeling. When Nate was in Iraq, it was the hardest time in my life. I know what it's like to watch the news and wonder if your husband was one of the men that was on board the helicopter that went down, or if he was in the building that was blown up, or if was on patrol when that car bomb went off. I remember praying when the phone rang, hoping to God that it was his voice on the other line and not an officer telling you the worse possible thing you could hear. I remember the letters, the love letters, that told me how much he loved me, missed me, and couldn't wait to be back home with me so we could start our lives together. I remember the phone calls at 3 in the morning with the really bad connections. I remember the heartache, the fear, and the loneliness. Even though there were thousands of women in my same situation, I felt so alone. Like I was the only one who understood what I was feeling. Nate isn't in the military anymore, but my heart goes out to all those Army, Navy, Marine, Coast Guard, and Air Force wives who are supporting the men they love while they are deployed. I especially feel for the women who have children or are pregnant when their husbands are overseas. Talk about a hard time! Even though it was the hardest thing I've been through, it doesn't compare to what Nate went through. I am proud of who he is, was, and did while in the Navy.

Sorry the pic quality is so poor. They are old and scanned...






2 comments:

AnieCooper said...

Ok...are you trying to make me cry ;) I couldn't even imagine what it must have been like for you. I know we have talked about it, but it takes special people to be able to do it. You and Nate sacraficed so much for all of us. Thank you Laura & Nate! I love you guys!

Becca said...

I can not imagine what you or other loved ones and wives had to go thought!!!Seriously how did you do it!!!! What a blessing to be together now and have that brought you closer together!!!!