Thursday, September 2, 2010

#64 Check

#64-Go to an aquarium

Yesterday Nate and I went to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. I have always wanted to go there and now that we are Long Beach residents, we just had to make a visit this summer. I had a coupon for 50% off so there was no excuse not to go. It is actually a pretty cool aquarium. It's kind of small and you can see everything in under 2 hours, so that's nice. For those moms out there, I highly recommend it. My favorite are the moon jellyfish. They are so pretty! I really want a tank for my house. I also love the seals and sharks. There's a lot of hands on exhibits where you can pet rays and sharks and jellyfish, among other things. The tropical fish are so colorful and pretty. I tried to take pics of them, but they don't do the fish any justice. The most interesting fish are the sex change fish. They start out as female and stress or the environment causes them to change to male (or visa versa). So weird! Another cool thing to see were all the different creatures that I teach my students when we study camouflage (sea dragon, pipefish, etc). The best part though, was the visitors guide that has pages where you stamp (emboss) at different attractions. I made sure to collect all the stamps. It reminded me of when I was little and I had my "passport" stamped at the San Diego zoo (or maybe it was the Wild Animal Park).

Petting the rays


I was trying to get a pic with the "Anderson" fish (black and yellow=school colors

More "Anderson" fish!


Baby hammerhead

The tropical fish are so pretty!



The moon jellyfish!

No comments: